Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Identities

My friend AB broke his paw a couple of weeks ago, while doing something he says he's been doing for 30+ years--running. It defines him, he says. So I feel bad that he has a broken ankle and angst along with it. It reminds me how hard it is to get back into something once we've gotten out of it. Like running. Especially when he will need to relearn, or at least rededicate, that skill once he's back on both feet. I have no doubt that he'll persevere, because that's the kind of guy he is. I, on the other hand, am a hopeless procrastinator and cynic.

I've been meaning for about, oh, say 100 years, to work on my girlish figure--but I cannot for the life of me find it. Which is what happens when you plan to work on something but never do. I've also been meaning to join the gym just up the street to get in shape. I get sidetracked so much during the day with menial things like WORK, that I cannot seem to set a time to go join. So, because I always allow other things to get in the way of my time, I'm neglecting my health and certainly my waistline, wherever it is. Which leads me to my cynicism. Hmph.

I can generally be pretty upbeat about things. After all, I have a good job that I love, around people I enjoy being around, on a campus and in a town that are charming, have a roof and a car and almost enough money to buy gas :•) So what's to be cynical about? Let me think on that one and get back to you...

I find that cynicism isn't always about having a negative outlook, but can also mean having a frustrated recollection of what you haven't done.

Okay, now I've worked myself into a funk. So, to salve my ego and my outlook, I'm going to a friend's house to help her with some beer and chips. I think we can figure out what to do with them!!