Monday, January 05, 2009

What I Did On My Christmas Vacation...

This isn't really about bragging, but more about writing down stuff so I don't forget it! You perhaps don't know but can surely guess that I'm approaching 50, but I refuse to tell you from which direction!! So, heretofore (what does this really mean, anyway?!) is my Christmas Vacation Chronicle:

  1. Dec. 15 - Visited my new friend, Dr. Jose Ortiz to see what he was going to do to me on; took an online final for one of my classes.
  2. Dec. 16 - Spend the day at Luther Hospital in Eau Claire meeting some nurses, anesthesiologists, and having my left hand slashed by hand surgeon Dr. Ortiz. Hopefully, having this carpal tunnel release surgery will lead to the return of the feeling in three of the fingers on my left hand...or not. But at least it won't get worse!
  3. Dec. 18 - Welcomed Servicemaster into my home so they could shampoo my carpets; tried not to reinjure my left hand so I moved only a few pieces of furniture!!
  4. Dec. 19 - Finally set up and decorated the Christmas tree. It's beginning to feel like a holiday around here!
  5. Dec. 17, 18, 19 -
    • Took full advantage of my "handicapped" status, and didn't wash one single dish! I did, however, load the dishwasher once, then fell into a semi-comatose (wink, wink) state and had to lie down and be fed Rum and Egg Nog until I felt better.
    • Watched holiday movies!
    Scrooged (Bill Murray), Christmas Carol (George C. Scott), White Christmas (Bing Crosby/Danny Kaye/Rosemary Clooney), It's A Wonderful Life (Jimmy Stewart), Home Alone (McCauley Culkin) and Christmas Vacation (Chevy Chase) twice!
    • Missed seeing
    Grumpy Old Men with Jack Lemon and Walter Mathau this year, only because I didn't have it on DVD, and didn't find it on cable channels. But I will watch it this winter some time!
  6. Dec. 20 - Watched The Family Stone movie with Craig T. Nelson and Diane Keaton, among others. It was great. Sarah Jessica Parker played the epitome of the pain-in-the-butt girlfriend. It was a great depiction of the life of a truly "eclectic" family! Lots of laughs, some tears, some frustration, but I thought it was great, and amazingly, so did my spouse, who doesn't care much for movies.
  7. Dec. 23 - A last minute shopping spree, as well as the delivery of goodies to some of my co-workers took us into the city. It was good to see everyone at work after a week of absence and being a shut-in!!
  8. Dec. 24 - Shared a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner and evening with my Mom, who has just moved back to Wisconsin from New York and insisted on cooking her traditional Christmas Eve meal. She hasn't been with us for many years at Christmas, so this was a real treat. We celebrated at the home of my brother and his wife and kids. Son One and Girlfriend One, as well as My sister and husband were there. It was a lovely time.
  9. Dec. 25 - More food and celebrating at Spouse One's parents' home with their family. It was a loaded house, but a fun time. Little kids, medium kids, large kids, cousins, brothers, sisters, friends--a grand bunch, lots of noise, good conversation and catching up. It's what this holiday is all about.
  10. Dec. 26, 27, 28 - Shopping for, buying and installing flooring in the bar in our basement. Looks great, adds warmth to the floor, brings the room into modern civilization. Finished painting the walls, with a touch of design.
  11. Dec. 29 - Began calling people in prep for a New Year's Eve party. I still can't put my hand in water, so what was I thinking here? :) Excited to see Daugher One and Fiancee One and to party with some friends.
  12. Dec. 30 - Mike and I launched out for Eau Claire early a.m.; Dr. appointment to have cast and stitches removed! YAY! Did some serious sale shopping, then headed for home. Worked on last of the Christmas letters...still have some left to mail.
  13. Dec. 31 - Cleaning, cooking, shopping... all in prep for DO and BO and New Year's party. It's been ages since we've really celebrated...Brother picked up DO and BO from airport and brought them home. Great to see them. Fast and furiously, we prepped for partee ...
  14. Dec.31-Jan. 1 - Partied well with a few close friends and family. Father-In-Law One got more than a little tipsy; had to drive him home! Fun and funny because he loves family and really got into the swing of things. Beers, food, wine, Crown Royal...and food galore. No one really wanted it to end, so the last 6 or 8 of us moved to the basement to hunker in, listen to music and savor the time.
  15. Alas... holiday celebrations over, Daughter/Fiancee One have gone back to their home far away, clean up is done, and return to work is looming large on the horizon...
  16. Happy New Year, everyone! Let's hope 2009 is a good year...