Friday, May 13, 2005

It's warmer in the south...

So, just about 9 hours ago, I was moaning and complaining and creaking because of the miserably cold, wet dark and dreary weather in northwestern Wisconsin. As I walked and my umbrella turned inside out, and my oversized hooded sweatshirt offered little protection from the onslaught of rain and sleet, I was so happy to be heading for the south...

Now, here I am! In the balmy regions of Janesville (yes, still in Wisconsin, but alas! in SOUTHERN Wisconsin, and on the cusp of Illinois) where the air is noticeably calmer and warmer, though still damp and dreary and unspringlike.

After traveling to visit a not-well uncle in hospital, checking into the motel, and lugging too much "stuff" for a two-day visit, I decided I was going to work on my notes for a final exam next week, and take a stab at a formal presentation coming up in just a few short days. Since there is an internet-connected computer nicely situated in a quiet corner of the lobby, I presumed that there was no internet access in the rooms, and didn't even look for a connection. I opened up the laptop and what to my wondering eyes did appear? But a dialog box and these alerting words: "None of your wireless connections can be found. Would you like to log on to the BWJanesville wireless network?"

HELLO! Of course, I thought, and hit the "YOU BETCHA" key, which immediately gave me access to the world. Sweet.

So chuck the idea of homework! I am, I said, to no one there -- doing email and blogs!!

It may not be warm and I may not have my own pillow, but it's kind of nice to be away in "the south", and enjoying a little blogging! But at some point I am going to have to work on the other stuff, which is why I brought the laptop on a weekend away in the first place.

Damn. I can talk myself right into a funk.