Monday, May 16, 2005

Pets and family... any difference?

It may sound like I'm comparing animals to family members, but you must put this all in perspective. While most of us have at times suspected that we are related to a sub-species (that reference usually comes after some significant disagreement with an in-law ), that's not what I'm talking about.

This weekend was insignificant in any real sense of accomplishment by myself. I spent most of the weekend either driving, riding, or sitting in a hospital. Yet the events of the weekend were profound in a very humble sort of way.

A good friend lost her dog to age and illness this weekend, and a dear human member of my own family is near the end of his own life, as well. Very sad, in both respects. However, these events have relative significance to me in several ways.

First, we all have beings in our lives which touch us in all sorts of ways. A loving pet who is a dedicated friend no matter what, and a human being who shows his love by teasing and bantering.

In both cases, and in some other cases in my life, there was time to say goodbye, which is a rare and often overlooked gift. Many people I know refuse to do that, because they believe there is always another chance. It is an opportunity lost. Even if the words "good bye" are never uttered, the message takes on many forms, from a simple visit, a hug, a kindness shown to family members.

Finally, I find myself thinking about the many different kinds of relationships we have with people AND animals, and how many people I know who have never had a pet. For me, personally, I don't think I'd understand or be able to tolerate a good many people I encounter if it hadn't been for the understanding I've acquired because of animals I've known and loved!!

Many animals and people have given me joy in my lifetime. But there's nothing quite like the loving relationship one develops with an animal who cannot utter a word but speaks volumes.