Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Rocky Mountain Elk


Rocky Mountain Elk
are very large....
Having returned to the flatlands, I now find solace in returning by pictures and memories to the mountains of Colorado. Spring has sprung there, as well, everything is unusually green due to a healthy amount of snowmelt and rains this spring, the aspen are quaking and the elk are bugling. I'm not sure if the quaking is DUE to the bugling, but I'll take it regardless!

On mornings at home when there are puffy gray clouds on the horizon, I dim my vision and pretend I'm looking at cloud-shrouded mountains. Wisconsin is beautiful, and we marveled at how incredibly green it is, in spite of the just-left Colorado greenery. But there are no mountains, so we're starting a petition to get some here. We also saw a moose, which was a rare sighting according to the natives, and even took a picture of it -- but it was so far away that we could just as well tell people it was a Sasquatch!

We motored over Loveland Pass and through Eisenhower Tunnel and hiked a bit at the base of the Flatirons and around Chatauqua Park in Boulder, and had coffee at a bistro in Winter Park and lolled in a boat on Boyd Lake in Loveland. But the best part of any of it was spending time with lovely DaughterOne. The Colorado lifestyle has been good to her, and she to it. Her being there makes me miss not only her, but my youth.

We'll let you know when the Wisconsin Mountain Petition is ready for your signature...