Wednesday, July 20, 2005

To lern or not to lern...

I don't know if it's because I'm getting old, or if I'm just running out of learning capacity, but at any rate, I'm tired of classes this summer! I've decided, with the help of my advisor, to take a statistics class and a psychology class online for 8 weeks this summer. Yikes!

The psychology class, I thought while registering, would be an interesting and calming option to offset the more tear-my-hair-out stressful tasks that would undoubtedly be involved in the statistics class. What the hell was I thinking? They are both very challenging and time consuming, and I'm fast running out of steam and summer!

The stats class has taught me much, not the least of which is to remind me what a terrible algebra student I was. Somehow, I managed to get B's and C's in earlier algebra classes, but I have no idea how. Besides, that was a different century. Why on earth do you need to express information in terms of Z x Y = (B+A)/2? I understand words and letters; not algebrais equations! So I'm worried about denting my sacred GPA this summer with this class. 15 quizzes and 2 tests and 14 discussion board posts. No problem.

Now, the "calming" psychology class has me talking to myself and the plants. Did I mention that there are 25 quizzes? 15 minutes each, 10 questions. Piece of cake, right? No, not even. I've read and re-read the chapters and think I have it down pat, only to run into questions written in Greek (not really, but they might as well be!!) I'm not at all sure what I'm learning because there is absolutely no feedback at all as to which questions I've answered correctly or incorrectly on the quizzes. Add to that 8 different discussion board postings, and you've got an old student who is ready for psychological treatment. Perhaps this is all an elaborate experiment, and I'm one of the subjects....

I do know for sure that I have until August 1st to complete both classes. By then, I may not be able to think at all, and may begin to drool.

I must be getting smarter, because I'm getting tired. And it's really hard to do homework while asleep!!