Friday, December 02, 2005

Technology-Schmechnology

First in a series?

In my job and elsewhere, I sometimes encounter people who blast technology, as if refusing to believe that humans have created the very concepts of which they complain! The complaints are getting fewer -- perhaps because people are learning that I love and embrace the technology with which I work and play (toys, after all!), or perhaps people are becoming resigned to its existence and force.

Don't get me wrong -- all technology is not "good," if one can put a label on it. I don't favor the move to constant or secret surveillance that Big Brother has been implementing for some time. Nor do I favor machines that replace working people. I do tend, however, to try and se
e the good technology has done for me and people I care about.

For example, I held off getting a cell phone for some time, only to have Spouse One purchase one for me as a gift several years ago. For awhile, the 40-minutes-per-month package was adequate. After all, it was an "emergency contact" device, and I only live 20 minutes from work. Then, after paying
overages a couple of times, I decided that I needed to up the ante. So I got a new package for only $5 more per month, but with 200 minutes per month, and 200 more minutes for nights and weekends. Sweet! I'd never need anything more! Well, you see where this is going. The minutes per month have been steadily increasing, but nicely enough the cost has NOT increased at the same rate! At that time, most of my calls were being made on my way to or from work to my family members -- which I would see anyway. Seemed rather ridiculous and a complete waste of money. Then things took a decided change. Daughter One moved several states away; I began using my cell phone to call Spouse One during the day instead of using a calling card; and it becamse a great way to heap guilt on Son One when he didn't call!! Because Daughter One doesn't have a land line (she's seldom in her apartment, anyway!) it's imperative that she have a cell, and it's with her all the time. Makes me feel much better about her safety and security, and we talk daily, which we surely wouldn't do if it were for landlines unanswered and expensive long distance minutes. Son One is on the road a lot with his job and Girlfriend One, and I worry much less about this accident-prone person when he's in touch -- and he knows it! My little red cell phone goes with me into classes so that when there's a crisis in my office, they can reach me. And, because my student workers can reach me while on my way home or elsewhere, I don't need to worry about working quite as many late hours...

What we do need to remember is that technology is more than just gadgets or computer software. It's the knowledge, stupid! It's how we get ourselves from point A to point B, and it's why some of the animals on the earth think of us as at the head of the food chain!!

This was fun! I may just make this a regular topic... look for the next installment of my new blog-series (would that be a "blearies?!"): "Doesn't It?!"


And always remember: Reality is only a collective hunch! (Lily Tomlim)